Custom Leather-Bound Greek and Hebrew Testaments

Some of you may know that I do custom bookbinding and bible rebinding. I have a bindery in my basement and though at this point I have a bit of a backlog because my time has been in short supply, I am considering simplifying my schedule and returning my focus with a bit more purpose to binding.

So here, then, is my question: if I were to custom bind Hebrew bibles (BHS), Greek new testaments (UBS or NA), or even the Biblia Sacra Utriusque Testamenti (BHS and NA bound together) in a fine bookbinding leather and sell them new, would people actually want one?

If so, what do you think would be the most popular format? It is hard to find a strong sewn leather binding on either the Hebrew Bible or the Greek New Testament., and I’ve never seen a Biblia Sacra Utriusque Testamenti bound in anything other than hard-cover.

So what do you think? Should I do it? If you had your pick, which format would you prefer to have in a leather binding that will actually last longer the existing flimsy bindings?

15 Comments Add yours

1. I would be interested in one. I think the Greek UBS and the Hebrew BHS would be best.

2. Barbara P says:

I would be very interested in your leather bound greek stuff. What I would really like to know is if you would consider turning a good ESV Study Bible into an unbound (three-hole-punched) version into a leather bound version

3. Alvin says:

I would love one!

4. I’ve been dying to get a leather bound Biblia Sacra for a while.

5. drew says:

Hey there… I came across your post from a google search. I was looking to see if there was anyone who could bind my NA27 and BHS together. Have you done this yet?

6. Paul Roberts says:

I’ve considered it many times since they have a similar height, but they differ substantially in width — if I remember correctly. I’m not sure how well it would work. Maybe I’ll experiment with mine before I start offering to bind others’. Check back later?

7. drew says:

Thanks for the response. My na27 and BHS seem to have exactly the same height and width. The UBS4 is slightly different than both. I’ll check back sometime. Thanks for the reply!

8. In leather this would be a great gift for someone soon

9. Jerod says:

I would absolutely LOVE to have my Biblia Sacra leather bound! How much would it be (roughly)?

Thanks!

10. Rony says:

I would love a leather bound Biblia Sacra!

11. Justin says:

I would be very interested in a Hebrew BHS and a Greek UBS binded! How much would this run?

12. Jane E. says:

I represent at least 7 people who be VERY interested in having a leather bound Biblia Sacra. If you produce these, PLEASE let me know. Our preference would be for a solidly constructed binding that would lay flat as you read with high quality basic black leather cover. Thanks.

13. Peter Milloy says:

Paul,
    Do you still do rebinding? I think my NA27 will be coming loose pretty soon–signatures are starting to separate in the middle of Galatians.

14. Oliver says:

I would also be VERY interested in a Hebrew BHS and Greek UBS bound in a single volume! I’ve been looking for this very thing and the closest I can find is the Readers Hebrew and Greek Bible. How much would this run? Thanks!!!